As we are well into the Fall and approaching Winter, we are seeing more common seasonal colds and flu symptoms. While testing is encouraged by the CDC and LA Public Health, it can still offer peace of mind to have an idea about what you might be dealing with if you come down with any symptoms, so please check out this chart.
SYMPTOMS of COVID-19 vs FLU vs COLD vs ALLERGIES
Providing both natural and/or conventional therapies for colds, flus and the C-virus is what we do best at Oasis Family Medicine, so please reach out to us.
WHICH TEST TO GET FOR SARS-CoV-2?
Oasis Family Medicine offers a few testing options.
- Quest for PCR 'swab' test. PCR testing is used when you are actively sick or think you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19. Turnaround time for the PCR 'swab' testing, which we do up the nose and in the throat, is around 2-7 days to get the results back. This is the main test used across the country. A positive test is good to rule in infection with COVID-19, but a negative test does not definitively rule out COVID-19.
- Quest IgG antibody testing. IgG is the 'long term' antibody that usually shows up by day 14 of infection. Results typically back within 2-3 days. Best, if you're 'just curious' if your body mounted an antibody immune response in the past (greater than 2 weeks ago).
- In-office rapid (results in 30 min or less) for both IgM and IgG antibodies. Again, IgG usually show up by day 14 of infection. IgM shows up by day 4 or 5 of an infection so this can be a great way to get back rapid results, though this is not encouraged to diagnose COVID-19 by the CDC or LA Public Health Department. This test is $60 when done in the office which is much less expensive than almost everywhere else that offers it.
WHERE TO GET TESTED?
In addition to Oasis Family Medicine offering the above testing options, the following offer the PCR 'swab' test for free.
- Free to all and results within 24-48 hours: https://curative.com/
- LA county residents: https://covid19.
I hope this information is helpful to you. Have a great week and as always, please feel free to pass this along!